
Originally St. Pottergade constituted entirely small cottages built for being let out.

From this end we round the corner and enter "Kirkepladsen"(Church Square). St. Nicholas Church has been built where formerly the King's House lay until the town was torched by the Vendes(a Slav tribe native to the south shores of the Baltic) in 1148. Until then the parish church was St. Andrew's south of the stream(and outside the urban jurisdiction). The present church wasn't built until after 1252 though. Presumably St. Andrew's acted as church for the rural district and St. Canute's down by the harbour until then. Bothe these churches has since vanished.



We round off the square and pass down "Lille Pottergade"(Small Potter Street) which we find between the nos. 4 and 5.